If you suspect a water leak, one of the easiest ways to detect leaks is to observe your water meter.
- Turn off all faucets and water-using appliances, such as the ice maker, dishwasher and clothes washer.
- Locate you water meter and lift the cover using a tool, such as a screw driver to see the meter dial.
- If you have an analog meter, the needle is moving, you have a leak.
- If you have a new AMI digital meter, there will be a flow icon to alert you that water is flowing.
- If the needle appears to be still, or the flow icon is not on, record the meter reading or mark the needle position with a pencil or piece of tape.
- Keep the water off. Wait at least 15-30 minutes. (Make sure nobody turns on a water-using appliance).
- Reread the meter gauge or check the needle location (or flow icon for new AMI meters) again. If the needle is spinning, or the flow icon is on, you likely have a leak somewhere in your system.