After more than a year of in-depth analysis and discussion, the Calaveras County Water District Board of Directors instructed staff to send written notifications to customers regarding proposed changes to rates for the District’s 13,000 water customers and 5,000 sewer customers (click here to read the notice). These notices are required by Proposition 2018 (Prop. 218), which is a constitutional amendment passed in 1996 that ensures public agencies notify customers before rates or fees are changed. Prop. 218 also requires a 45-day period between the mailing of the notices and the date of a final public hearing, at which time the new water and sewer rates will be voted on by CCWD Board members. CCWD’s public rate hearing is scheduled for 1 p.m. May 23, 2018, at the District’s headquarters at 120 Toma Court, San Andreas. All information regarding the proposed rate changes will be posted to www.ccwd.org/rates.
During the months of April and May, the District will continue its public outreach efforts regarding rates, which have been ongoing since summer 2017. These include meeting with community leaders, working with local media providers, speaking to community groups, posting flyers throughout the county, posting information on the District’s website and social media accounts and answering questions via phone and in person in the Customer Service Department. Staff will also make presentations about the proposed rate changes at town hall meetings throughout the county. These meetings have been planned in the evenings to ensure community members can attend after work.
Town Hall Meeting Schedule
- Copperopolis: 6 p.m. Thursday April 5 at Black Creek Park Center, 920 Black Creek Drive, Copperopolis
- Sheep Ranch: 6 p.m. Friday April 13 at the Central Calaveras Fire Rescue Station, 11309 Sheep Ranch Road, Sheep Ranch
- West Point/Wilseyville: 6 p.m. Monday April 16 at the West Point Elementary School Multipurpose Room, 54 Bald Mountain Road, West Point
- Arnold/Avery/Dorrington: 6 p.m. Tuesday April 24 at Independence Hall, 1445 Blagen Road, Arnold
- Jenny Lind/Rancho Calaveras/La Contenta/Gold Creek: 6 p.m. Thursday April 26 at the Veterans Hall, 189 Pine Street, Valley Springs
- Vallecito/Douglas Flat/Six Mile Village: Time and date to be announced at the Vallecito Church.
For additional information about the rate changes, click below to view two presentations staff recently provided to the CCWD Board of Directors
Customers with questions regarding the proposed rate changes may be directed to the CCWD Customer Service Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or (209) 754-3123.