2019-20 School Year Calaveras County Water District Scholarship Winners
Each year, the Calaveras County Water District awards two high school seniors with $500 scholarships. This year, East Bay Municipal Utility District graciously offered to match this investment and four high school seniors were offered $500 scholarships. The students earn the scholarships by writing an essay about the value of water.
The winners of the 2019-2020 CCWD Scholarship Awards are:
- Ashlynn Sheree Atkins, who graduated from Mountain Oaks and plans to pursue a degree in Psychology.
- Benjamin Raymond Hesser, who graduated from Calaveras High and plans to pursue a degree in Agriculture
- Gabrielle Hutchens, who graduated from Bret Harte and is attending UC Santa Barbara
- Olivia Louse Lilly, who graduated from Bret Hare and is attending UC Santa Barbara
A committee of three CCWD staff members reviewed more than 30 essays that were submitted by students attending Calaveras High School, Bret Harte High School, and Mountain Oaks School. All personal identifying information was removed from each essay submission to ensure committee members were impartial in their judgement. The essays were judged on sound logic, proper grammar, accuracy, and responsiveness to the prompt. Each committee member chose their top essays, and the group conferred to select the four winners for the 2019-20 awards. The winning essays demonstrated a strong command of the English language and overall excellence across all judgement categories.
Historically, CCWD would invite the winners to a public Board meeting to read their essays as well as Board members would attend the Bret Harte Scholarship night to present the awards to winning students. Unfortunately, COVID made those personal meetings impossible. Instead, the Director of Administrative Services, wrote a personal letter to each winner recognizing their hard work, especially during an unprecedented year of unknowns, and continued applauding the dedication to their education and how their essay demonstrated an appreciation of water.
The District wishes each winner the best of luck in their academic pursuits.
Scholarship funds will only be made available to the students once they have submitted verified proof of college class enrollment to CCWD.
Recent CCWD News
- Customer Portal & IVR Payment Fees Change Effective February 6, 2023 February 3, 2023
- CCWD’s Regular Board Meeting February 8, 2023 February 3, 2023
- Jenny Lind Town Hall Meeting February 16th January 30, 2023
- Legal Affairs Committee Meeting January 31, 2023 January 27, 2023
- CCWD’s Regular Board Meeting January 25, 2023 January 20, 2023